Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Day 6

Garden of the God's is an absolutely amazing place.  It reminded me of Seneca Rocks, but red, and bigger.  The Ute indians sure did pic a good spot to live.  Can you imagine living a such a place?  Waking up to this scene everyday?




 Entrance sign. The start of an exciting day. 



 Julie trying to be outdoors girl








 Pike's Peak through the rocks


Siamese Twins


 I saw this rock falling so I figured I'm jump up there and hold it up




Garden of the gods was simply amazing. Even though it was extremely hot and very windy the park was beautiful. And when I say windy I mean it was windy. We were in the middle of sand storms the whole time. We were covered with at least an inch of dust when we left.

I seriously have not had so much sand in my mouth.  It was even stuck to my lips because I had put on chapstick.
 Then we headed into downtown Manitou Springs for lunch.  We found a really adorable little european cafe.  They specialized in Polish food.  I was too exhausted to be anymore adventurous so I went with the BLT (with avacado).  I don't know if it was because I was so hot or tired or wind blown, but it was soooo good.  It was served with home fries and... a banana! 
Our waitress explained to us that all the fountains in town were in fact tapped into the local springs and each one had a different flavor.  I don't know, we tried 3 and, well, they were all nasty.


Since it was so hot, we popped into another little cafe for ice cream.  Oddly enough it was a middle eastern cafe.  We've noticed that there are alot of middle easterners in this area.  One shop owner we met was from that part of the world and he said he really likes in here in Colorado because of the landscape.  It's very similar to home.  I never even would have made that conection, but it's true!

Dulcimer/guitar shop where they make everything there the old fashioned way.



After that, we said goodbye to Colorado Springs and headed up to Denver.  On our way, we saw this:
Black Forest wildfire

As we left Colorado Springs, the scenery instantly changed.  We began to be surounded by buttes and bluffs that rose up from the flat landscape.




Then there they were!!! The mountains of Rocky Mountain National Park!  Jagged and snow covered!

One of the many wildfires in the area and unfortunately the most devastating one.  With all the smoke in the area from the wildfires (Black Forest, Big Madows RMNP, and Royal Gorge)  It made for a mysterious looking sunset.



No comments:

Post a Comment